Sunday, January 13, 2013

LGO Plant Trek

This week and next I am husbandless in Boston.

Right now, the LGOs are halfway through the Class of 2014 Domestic Plant Trek.

What is this, you ask? It's a two week, mandatory trip the LGO 1st Years take every January to visit a lot of the plants of LGO partner companies. They basically live like Rock Stars for two weeks- 10 cities in roughly 14 days, spending most of their time on buses, airplanes and in airports and hotels. It's a rough travel schedule, but don't feel sorry for them.  The traveling is not the only thing that makes them like Rock Stars. Apparently the plants and companies they visit treat them like they would treat the President. They roll out the red carpet for them, wine and dine them... And to top it off- the Plant Trek ends in L.A. on Santa Monica beach where they will then spend the weekend with nothing to do but explore and enjoy the warm weather. It's hard being an MIT grad student, huh?


The order of places goes like this: Raleigh, Detroit, Indy, Peoria, Chicago, Portland (where they are today and tomorrow), Seattle, Austin, LA, then back to Boston.

I decided to come back to Boston after our Christmas break so I could work for a couple more weeks before we move. I've been staying busy and meeting up with friends, but I have to say Boston just isn't as fun without Chuckie. Also, Chuck and I aren't used to being away from each other for very long stretches of time. We've been spoiled. So 2 weeks to some people is probably no big deal, but to us it seems long! See... this is why we need a dog! So I would have someone to hang out with when Chuckie's gone. Don't you think?

(Disclaimer: I don't really want a dog right now or any time in the near future, but I figure if I start my campaign for a dog NOW, then by the time we actually settle down with a house and regular life and can actually afford one, Chuck will be open to the idea.)

Maybe when Chuck comes back he'll share some of his pictures with me that I can then share with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment