Monday, May 14, 2012

The roommates

If you've ever seen the movie "Grandma's Boy" (and if you haven't, please don't waste your time- it's terrible) you know that there is a character in the movie who is way too old to still be living with his parents, but does. He sleeps in a race car bed and when he talks about his parents to his friends, he calls them his "roommates." Well, for the past 3 years, I too have lived with "roommates"- my parents. While I'm totally looking forward to living with my new roommate- Chuckie- there are definitely some things I will miss about my current roommates. Here is a little glimpse of what it's been like living together for the past 3 years.

- Last summer, the roommates started watching all of these cooking challenge shows on the Food Network. At some point, my dad became obsessed with Bobby Flay, to the point where now sometimes when we say grace at dinner, it ends with "Thank you God, for Bobby Flay." But because of this new obsession, they started cooking with all different types of ingredients and making up their own recipes. And y'all? It's been GOOD. Sometimes when I eat the food they make, I feel like I'm in Bobby Flay's kitchen.
- We share a love for most of the same TV shows which is nice because there is only one TV in the house with DVR. One of our favorites is New Girl. I wasn't sure they would like that show but they started watching it with me and one night recently, I came home and they were watching it without me! As in- I wasn't forcing them to watch it. They just really enjoy it! Other shows we love are Dexter, 24, How I Met Your Mother, Amazing Race, Survivor, and a lot of HGTV shows.
- Sometimes they leave me notes and I love it. "The coffee is fresh," "Happy birthday!" or my favorite, (from dad usually) "read this article in the CJ!" with a post-it attached to some article in the paper he wants me to read.
- We share a a major love for margaritas.
- I have taught my parents a lot about technology. Facebook, ipads, facetiming, twitter, printers, etc. I'm not a super technology genius but sometime they make me feel like one. Especially when I tell my dad to google something and he types "google" into the google search bar. Yes. He googled google once.
- One time, I was supposed to make jello shots for a party. After I made them, I needed to put them in the fridge to set but I couldn't get the refrigerator door open (in the garage) to put them in, so my dad moved the car back a little for me so I could. They're so supportive.
- One time, I heard a clanking noise in my trunk and when I stopped to see what it was, it was a microwave. I asked my mom why it was in there and she said "Your dad put it in there." So when I asked him about it and why it was in there he said "We are running out of space for things in the garage!"
- Sometimes they accidentally hide my mail from me.
- When Sami left for college, we became empty nesters together.
- A few months ago, we almost bought a new refrigerator because ours had a rank smell coming from it and we couldn't figure out why. Then- the Big Fridge Cleanout of 2012 happened and we discovered the source- some nasty old Ricotta cheese. It was pretty entertaining.

So as you can see, the roommates and I have had some pretty good times together. And this list doesn't even cover half of all the things I could tell you. But just know this- I have laughed so hard at with them I've cried so many times I can't even count them. (I swear some of the misunderstandings that happen in that house are like something straight off of I Love Lucy.) 

Roommates- if you are reading this, I hope you know that you've been great roommates and I will continue to thank God for Bobby Flay when I say grace in honor of you two. Love you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment