Friday, April 6, 2012

Scary Closet: Part 2

This week I finished cleaning out the Scary Closet. This time was way less scary than the first. I didn't find anything nearly as exciting as a cow collage or any other really old electronic devices, but I did find a couple of gems. Starting with....
An old tutu from my dancing days. I have no idea why I still have this. I only wore it for one performance ever but I guess I loved it too much to get rid of it. Underneath the tutu I found my dance bag with all of my old dance shoes in it, as well as a box FULL of my other dance recital costumes.  So much fringe and glitter and sequins in one box... You have no idea.
Kept or trashed: Kept, with plans to give to Goodwill so someone can use this as an awesome Halloween costume someday.
Old softball trophies. Who doesn't have a few of these things lying around? As you can see, I was obviously never on a winning team. Most of these are all "Participation Trophies" aka "Trophies you get for showing up so that your feelings aren't hurt when you lose."  The two big trophies you see aren't even for first place. One is for second place in the league and the other is for second place in the tournament, both in 1998.  That was the year I played "bench warmer" every game and hated the coach and people on my team so much that I showed up to the end of the season team pool party, asked for my trophies, and immediately left without even going inside.
Kept or trashed: Kept. Too much time and effort went into 8 years of softball to throw those babies away.
Creepy framed picture of dolls having tea?
Kept or trashed: Trashed! Immediately! I'm going to be haunted by this picture for weeks.

This was a fun surprise to find.  Yes, this is a Frodo bobblehead, still in the box. Chuckie bought me this for Christmas the first year we were dating.  He got me several gifts that year and this was one of them. I can't even explain it because I don't really remember why he got me this. But I love that I still have it and I love that I thought it was too valuable to take out of the box.
Kept or trashed: Kept, for the memories.

So there you have it. Nothing else too exciting came out of this round of cleaning. I found a lot of marbles, old CDs, craft supplies, notes and drawings from people from high school, and all of my drum major binders and trumpet books. Some things got to stay, but two more bags of trash were taken out at the end of the night. So now... my closet is ready to be filled with storage bins of the things I DID save. 
Looking good already!

I still have a few areas of my room to sort through where stuff is just stored (i.e. under my bed, the other closet, in my night stand...) so I may post more pictures at that time if I find anything worth sharing. But so far I'm feeling very content with my plan.

2 comments:

  1. Do you remember the year we played softball together and your dad was the coach? We won one game that year. Probably the most fun season of ball I've ever played though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! That was the best year. We were so awful. We never just lost like, 5-3 either. It was always something like 22-3. Probably because I got really bad at pitching that year and walked almost every batter. :)

    ReplyDelete