Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Blending In

Ever since we found out Chuckie got in to MIT, I've been basing all decisions on the fact that I will be living in Boston for two years very soon.  One example of this is my clothing.  I've only been out shopping for clothes once since we found out and while shopping, all I could think whenever I looked at a shirt was "Would someone wear this in Boston?"

You see, the first time we visited Boston, we felt like we stood out the entire time. And I think it was my fault.  In a sea of black shirts and pants, I was wearing bright green and bright blue shirts. The first night we were there when we ate at John Harvard's, I swear everyone in there was staring at us the whole time, like they could just tell we didn't belong. And we continued to feel that way the rest of our trip. Apparently, people in the north don't like to wear bright colored shirts. At least not in October, anyway...

So the second time we visited Boston, this past November, I packed with that in mind. Black sweaters, black pants, black boots, black jacket. The only color I allowed myself was a dark purple scarf. Well? It worked. We happened to be in town on election day, and while walking down the street on the way to the train from our hotel, a lady handed me a flyer on the candidate she was supporting and asked me to vote for him. I was SO excited. I took the flyer and said thanks and then excitedly told Chuckie "She thinks we live here! We did it! We blended in!"

I have a bad feeling every article of clothing I buy for the next two years will be black.

No comments:

Post a Comment