Monday, March 26, 2012

Scary Closet: Part 1

Yesterday I started the packing process. I started cleaning out Closet #2, the scary closet. It was, like I thought, a little scary but not quite the black hole I was expecting. I only got about 1/3 of the way through it before I got tired and had to stop. At times it was really tough to decide if I should save or trash some things. I filled one and a half trash bags and one small storage bin. And just like I thought, I found some real treats in there.

My first big find? My "homies"!!!! I'm not sure if "homies" are still a thing or not, but when I was in high school, you could find these little guys in the machines next to all the gumball and ancient candy machines. Liz and I used to collect them and keep them randomly in our cars and purses.
Kept or trashed: Kept!

This picture is of a note I found folded up in a little glass bowl with some old barrettes from when I was little. It's from Laura and I'm not sure how old we were when this was written but judging by the handwriting, she was pretty young. On the back of the note it said "Love, Laura."
Kept or trashed: Kept, of course! Who would throw that away?

I chose to share this find for several reasons. First, I thought it was only appropriate, with Titanic being re-released in theatres this month. Second, I remember when my grandma gave me this I thought it was the coolest jewelry box ever. And third, I think it's hilarious that the Heart of the Ocean is missing from the top. Where is it?? That thing is worth millions! Maybe I pulled it off and dropped it off the side of a boat in the middle of the ocean so no one else could ever own it? (If you don't get this Titanic reference, you must not have seen the movie 4 times in the theatre and 400 times on VHS like me.)
Kept or trashed: Kept. (Can't throw away something you remember your grandma giving you.)

I'm not really going to take the time to explain this one. You'll just have to wonder about it. Yes. It's a collage of cow pictures. Yes it's titled "Rachel's Moolage."  Yes this was a high school graduation gift.
Kept or trashed: Kept. But I have no idea what to do with it.

At the end of the Governor's Scholars Program I attended summer before my senior year of high school, our hall voted on awards for every girl in the hall. On our last night together, we presented each other with these awards. This is what I won. So proud. This was when my Spiderman obsession was apparently way out of hand.
Kept or trashed: It's in the "undecided pile" for now. Will probably throw away though.


And last, but CERTAINLY not least... I found these three gems all together in the bottom of the closet. Thank God I started my hoarding at such a young age so I now have these things to show my future children so they can think I grew up in the stone age. Seriously. A Gameboy, a walkman and a discman. Jackpot!!!!!
Kept or trashed: Kept, duh!

I found many more exciting items like the stuffed fish my dad used to hit me with in the mornings to wake me up in middle school, a plethora of stuffed animals, Pez dispensers, bouncy balls, journals and much more. I realize it seems I kept a lot more than I threw away, but can you blame me? Those homies will be worth something some day... Right?

I hope to get through the rest of the closet some time this week or next weekend.  No telling what I'll find next but I'll give you a sneak preview- I saw a tutu and a ridiculous amount of softball trophies in the back left corner... 

2 comments:

  1. Love that you have that note - who knows when it's from. And I especially like how "friend" was written, then crossed out and replaced with "sister."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you would consider throwing out that prestigious award! And Chuckie is very super-hero like, so it came true!

    ReplyDelete