Thursday, March 29, 2012

Wedding Diaries: Cake Tasting

You guys. I think I found what I want my new profession to be. "Official cake taste tester." I don't know where or how or why this job would exist but I think it should and I think I'd be really good at it. Earlier this week, me, Chuck, my parents and his mom went to taste cake flavors and fillings for our wedding. And it was, besides picking out my dress, the most exciting part of wedding planning yet.

We walked in to this place where we were meeting the cake lady and she had plates already set up. Four different flavored cupcakes on each plate, the three fillings we asked to try and a spoon. Seriously??? THIS. IS. MY. HEAVEN. We proceeded to sit there and taste each cake flavor with the different fillings and discuss our thoughts.  The conversation sounded a little like this: "Mmmmmm I like the chocolate with this. Mmmm me too. Mmmmm try the white with the other two! Mmmm yeah those are good. Mmmmm this one is perfect just by itself."  And the "mmmmm-ing" went on and on for the next hour and a half. It was both the best and weirdest experience of my life. I mean, when else in your life can you just show up somewhere and have a plate full of cupcakes and fillings waiting for you to try and then get to tell a lady to make an entire cake out of your favorite combinations!?

The tasting part was easy, but the designing part was not. Do we want flowers on the cake? Colors? Ribbon? Swirly design? Straight lines? Fleur de lis? What do we want on top of the cake? There were so many questions, so many decisions to make. I consider myself to have somewhat of an artistic brain, but I'm no cake designer that's for sure.

If Chuck had complete control over the decision, our cake would probably end up looking like this:

If I had my way, our cake would look something like this:

Lucky for us, our cake lady wants our cake to look more like this:
Yes, that was William and Kate's wedding cake.

After a lot of deliberation, we ended up designing something really beautiful, and I promise there are no sports or Wizard of Oz related designs involved in any way. I won't tell you what it will look like or what flavors we chose. You will just have to wait until August 24th to find out.

I will tell you, we chose three different flavors for the three tiers which means I will be eating three pieces of cake at our wedding. In the words of the great Lorelai Gilmore, "If eating cake is wrong, I don't wanna be right."

No comments:

Post a Comment