Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Boston Bound!

A long, long time ago, Chuckie told me about this program at MIT called Leaders for Global Operations.  At the time I think it was called something else and has since changed its name, but we'll just call it LGO anyway since that's its name now. But he went on and on about how amazing this program was- two degrees, a Masters in Engineering and an MBA, from the number one engineering school and number four business school in the country- all in two years.  The program accepts 50 students per year and because of the partner companies, is only a portion of the cost of other grad schools. Sounds almost too good to be true, right?  Ever since he first heard about it, Chuckie worked towards someday applying to this program and we always hoped he would get accepted after a couple years of working in the “real world.”  And well, it’s finally all paid off. (Moral of the story- work hard and you can achieve anything you set your mind to.) 

Last Wednesday night we were sitting around my house, watching a UofL basketball game and anticipating that he would hear from MIT the coming weekend. But around 8:45, a voicemail appeared on Chuckie’s phone and it was from the MIT LGO Program Director, congratulating him and welcoming him to the program! I’m not sure we believed it was real for the first couple of hours. Actually, I’m still not sure we believe it’s real. All of this time we’ve talked about the program, talked about moving, talked about this amazing opportunity, and now we’re actually going to live it out!
But now that we’ve had a week to process our new future, here is what I think:
  •  I am about to marry the one of the smartest people on the planet.
  • These next 5-6 months are about to be the busiest months of our lives.
  • The next 2 years will be an adventure!
  •  We are excited, sad, scared, happy, anxious, and thrilled- all at the same time.
  •  I’m going to soon speak in all acronyms, all the time. For example- I am now an MIT LGO SO. (Massachusetts Institute of Technology Leaders for Global Operations Significant Other) Oh and yesterday, Chuckie got a call from his LGO POC. (Point of Contact)
We are definitely venturing into unfamiliar territory- I have no doubt Boston will be completely different from Louisville and Lexington but I also have no doubt that we’re going to have a blast!  And lucky for you- I plan to record our little adventure through this blog: our preparation, our move, our wedding planning, our wedding, life in Boston and much more. And at the end, after 2 years at MIT, we will look back and say “wow! that was crazy fun” and also I’ll be saying “MY HUSBAND IS AN MIT GRAD Y’ALL!!!!!” (I plan to keep at least some of my Kentucky vernacular in check as well as gain some Boston sayings and accents along the way.)
Chuckie and Rachel are Boston bound!

No comments:

Post a Comment