Friday, November 30, 2012

Seattle

I can finally share some big news on the blog....

We're moving to Seattle for 6 months!
 
Part of the LGO program is a 6 month internship at one of the LGO Partner Companies. There are several partner companies including some places you may have head of like Nike, Amazon, Caterpillar, Boeing, Zara, Novartis, and a bunch more. Students can choose if they want to interview for what is called "off-cycle" internships which go from February-August, or "on-cycle" which goes from June-December. Chuck chose to interview for a couple of "off-cycle" internships because he was very interested in the projects. He interviewed and then had to rank the projects in order of his favorite to least favorite. Then the companies rank the candidates and they generate a match.

Chuck will be working on a project for Amazon at their headquarters in Seattle!

We have known for a little while but I couldn't post anything until I broke the news to my boss at work. We will move to Seattle in early February and come back to Boston at the end of August for Chuck to finish up his final two semesters at MIT!

This is both extremely exciting and extremely stressful news. I am SO excited to experience West Coast living for the first time but also stressed about moving AGAIN- and this time even FARTHER across the country- leaving my job at MIT, finding a job in Seattle, finding a new job once we're back in Boston, and about a million other things.  And I have never been to Seattle before so the thought of moving to a city I've never even visited kind of scares me. But only a little.

On top of all the excitement and stress, Chuck and I are also sad to be leaving all of the LGOs. We will be away while most of them are still in Boston taking classes for the Spring Semester. Then when we get back to Boston in the Fall, they will be gone on internship. So we go almost a year without seeing most of the LGOs we've become good friends with! Sad!  The good news is two other LGOs are going to Seattle for their off-cycle internships, and a few more will be starting there in June, so we won't be completely alone out there.

Here are the only things I knew about Seattle before doing any research:
- Birthplace of Starbucks
 
- "Home" of Meredith, McDreamy and the rest of the Grey's Anatomy characters.
 
- Close to Canada

- Hometown of T-Will (who you may remember from THIS previous blogpost)

- It's rainy. Although I read that Boston has a higher annual precipitation average than Seattle.

I knew my rain boots were going to get lots of good use when I bought them back in September!

That's about it.

I'm sure I'll know much more soon. One thing I do know for sure is we have a lot to do before February!

So, you know what's coming next... My attempt to make everyone come visit us all the time:
Start planning your Spring Break and Summer Break vacations for the West Coast, friends! I know all of you have just been waiting for a reason to visit Seattle, right!? We'll make sure we pack our air mattress just for all of you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment