Friday, November 9, 2012

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year: Basketball Season

Kentucky is known around the world for a few big things. Kentucky Fried Chicken. The Kentucky Derby. Bourbon. And last but CERTAINLY not least, basketball- specifically college basketball.

Today marks the start of the college basketball season. In case you didn't know, this year, the pre-season basketball polls have Louisville ranked #2 and Kentucky (the reigning national champs) ranked #3, with the #1 team being IU-which is just north of Louisville in good ole Indiana. To say that people in Kentucky are obsessed with college basketball would be a HUGE understatement.

As most of you know, Chuckie and I attended the University of Kentucky, but as born and raised Louisville fans, never switched our allegiance from UofL to UK.  You. just. don't. do. that.

The Cardinals are predicted to go very far in the tournament this year and this is 1) very exciting because who doesn't want their team to have a shot at the National Championship? and 2) kinda sad because we are not in Louisville to be in on all of the "hype" around the team this year. And we can't go to any games. And most of the games will not be shown on National TV so we will have to watch on our laptops or listen on the radio. Womp womp.

Every year since I was in high school, I've picked a favorite on the UofL basketball team. The rule is they have to stay my favorite for as long as they are on the team. I cheer for the team as a whole but for them especially. Also, I always call them by their first name, 'cause you know, we're close like that.

In the early 2000s, my favorite was Luke Whitehead. I liked him because whenever he hit a 3 the crowd all yelled "LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKE."
 
After Luke left, my favorite was Larry O'Bannon. Because of his amazing skills in the tournament in 2005 when we went to the Final Four, he is now a favorite of many Cards fans, but I loved him long before everyone else. He was a hometown hero, was very academically smart, and 17 year old me thought he was pretty cute too. (Chuck knows, it's ok.)
<3
 When Larry left, I was depressed and not excited about picking a new favorite. But then... T-Will happened. He was my favorite from the first time I saw him play as a freshman at an exhibition game. He was SO incredibly athletic and had a huge personality. He also became a big favorite amongst Cards fans.
After this dunk he probably ran up and put his face in the camera and proclaimed that he was the best basketball player ever created.  Because I'm pretty sure he believes that.
  In 2006, Louisville beat West Virginia in a football game- we were ranked 5th in the nation and they were ranked 3rd. Some people say this is still the biggest victory in Louisville football history. Chuck and I were lucky to be in the crowd at that game and rushed the field with everyone else after we won. While on the field, I spotted T-Will and some of our other basketball players dancing and celebrating. Without thinking, I ran straight to T-Will and just HUGGED HIM. He just kind hugged me back and then I told him he was my favorite and then had Chuck take a picture of us. This was back when cell phones first had cameras and so the picture was horribly pixelated and is now lost on some old phone of mine. But it happened. Chuck witnessed it (and told me I was crazy.)

After T-Will there was Rakeem Buckles, who didn't do much and now isn't even on the team anymore.
I think I only picked him because he's #4 and 4 is my favorite number.
  So now.... after much deliberation and input from my adviser (Chuck), I have chosen my new team favorite. I now introduce to you....

UofL's Montrezl Harrell (center) gains control of the ball under the defense of against Pikeville's Colt Chapman (12) and Zach Howard (right) on Thursday at the KFC YUM! Center. Nov.1, 2012

Montrez Harrell! #24.

We'll see how he works out as my new favorite. And we'll see how the Cards live up to their #2 ranking! Let the college basketball season begin!!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment