Thursday, June 13, 2013

USA vs. Panama

The last couple of weeks have been extremely uneventful due to work, work, and more work. Chuck has been working hard at Amazon and I have been working my two jobs pretty much non-stop. He and I have hardly seen each other and haven't had a lot of spare time to hang out and enjoy the (finally) nice weather Seattle's been having. So this week we had the opportunity, very last minute, to buy tickets from an LGO friend for the USA vs. Panama World Cup qualifier game that was taking place right here in Seattle. We decided to take the opportunity and do something fun together for the first time in a couple of weeks.
 
Side note: Chuck did get a chance to go rafting on a river somewhere a couple hours away last weekend with some other LGOs while I was at work. Here's a picture of them on the river!
 
Such a cool experience for them!
 

So, back to soccer. Those who know me know that I am not a big soccer fan. I just don't understand who would want to spend 90 minutes RUNNING up and down a field kicking a ball around, hitting it with their heads, and potentially ending those 90 minutes completely scoreless or in a tie with the other team. What is that all about anyway? Isn't 2-2 the same thing and 0-0 and therefore the game could have just not been played at all and have the same outcome?
 
But even with my anti-soccer outlook, I was still very interested in attending Tuesday night's game. Working at Niketown, I've been surrounded by soccer mania for the past two weeks leading up to the game. I've seen some of the USA players in the store, met some of the players (including two starters for the team!), helped them shop, and sized a couple of them for Nike Fuelbands. I've talked to so many customers who flew in from all over the country just for the game. It was hard NOT to get excited about the game. Chuck loves most sports and enjoys soccer, so when I mentioned getting tickets to the game, he was immediately convinced.
 
Tuesday after work, we met up and walked a mile from downtown to the stadium.

 
 
 
Once we were in the stadium, we bought some $8 pizza slices (ridiculous) and found our seats. This was our view of the field.
 


 
3rd row, center?! Really? We were shocked. We knew the tickets were in the lower bowl but had no idea they were dead center and in the THIRD ROW. "Beyond excited" doesn't really even describe how we felt when we got to our seats.  While the teams were warming up, I snapped a picture of Chuck representing the Cards at the game! 


Then he took a picture of me with the USA team in the background warming up. Don't I look like a real soccer fan? (The shirt and scarf were my work uniform for the last week. Thanks, Nike!)

The crowd and the atmosphere were incredible. Everyone got a free scarf as they entered the stadium and at points throughout the game, everyone would hold them up like this. The stadium looked so awesome when everyone had their scarves up at the same time.
 
The most entertaining part of it all was this section seen here in this picture. 

Picture the student section at a football game and that's what this section was like, except way more intense. They had leaders who led them in chants and cheers. They stood the entire time chanting, cheering, and doing things like the picture above. It was pretty entertaining. (Maybe this happens at all soccer games so any soccer fans reading this, please excuse my ignorance.)



When the players were on our side of the field I took as many pictures as I could, trying to get a good action shot. I just couldn't get over how close we were. We could see their sweat. I told Chuckie we were so close I could "see their brains working." Seriously. We could see their eyes scanning the field and making a decision on what to do with the ball. It was so cool.




The US scored two goals and beat Panama 2-0.  We were really excited we got to see two goals scored and I was excited we didn't see a tie.



All in all, it was an amazing time and will probably end up being our favorite Seattle experience of the 6 month internship. I don't think I'm going to become a soccer fan but I do have a lot more appreciation for the game now. I also think Chuck and I will be paying a little more attention to the USA team standings and will probably watch some games on TV next summer if the US makes it to the World Cup!

The work schedule for me is slowing down finally and tomorrow, Chuck's parents come to town for a visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment