Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Louisville- The 2013 National Champions

We did it. We won the National Championship!

And it couldn't have happened to a better group of guys. Having a husband who is a megafan, I know way more about these players than the average person should really know. Chuckie makes sure I know where they are all from, how tall they are, what they've said after each game... I follow them on Instagram. He tells me their stats after each game. And even though we've lived in Boston and Seattle for this entire season, we have found a way to watch almost every single game this season. So I can truthfully say, I feel like I know this team personally and I could not be happier for them. The hard work and humility has paid off! Congrats, Cards!

Anyone who knows me and Chuckie knows that we are BIG Louisville fans. We own way too many UofL t-shirts, way too many UofL blankets, and just way too much UofL STUFF in general. But we can't help it- we just love the Cardinals!

Though we both went to the University of Kentucky for college, we both grew up Louisville fans. My parents have always cheered for the Cards and my grandpa was one of the biggest UofL fans I've ever known. He held season tickets to football and basketball for years, and refused to give up his season tickets until he was almost 90 years old and just couldn't physically go to the games anymore. He was a superfan, for sure.

Chuckie grew up in an all Louisville household too. One of his sisters was a Louisville Ladybird (the best dance team in the country) and his brother-in-law set records as a wide receiver for UofL's football team. Chuckie used to be a ball boy at the basketball games and has had Louisville posters hanging in his room for as long as I've known him. And if you have ever watched a football or basketball game with him, you know he is a passionate (and kind of intense) fan. Thank God my family raised me a Cards fan or I don't think Chuck and I would have ever worked out.

Louisville has not won or even played in a National Championship game since 1986, the year before we were BORN. So to say we've been waiting for the Cards to play in or win a National Championship for a long time, well that's an understatement.

Yesterday was the longest day ever. The anticipation of the game was rough. And right before gametime, we were both so nervous we couldn't sit still. Chuck couldn't eat. I couldn't stop burping. (It's what I do when I'm nervous. I know it's weird.) We had a couple of friends over to watch the game with us. While the rest of us sat and watched the game, this was Chuckie.



He does not sit during games.

I wish more than anything that we could be in Louisville celebrating in the streets and attending the parties and parades. But we are celebrating in Seattle and will remember this for the rest of our lives! Finally, we've witnessed our team take the biggest trophy of all. Ahhhh. Victory is sweet. And now if you'll excuse me, I have to go find yet ANOTHER job so we can afford to pay for all of the National Championship paraphernalia Chuckie is about to buy.


No comments:

Post a Comment