Thursday, March 14, 2013

Oh Canada

A few weeks ago, Chuckie and I were discussing what we should do with my sister while she was out here visiting and he suggested taking a day trip to Canada. Vancouver is only about a two and a half hour drive from Seattle, so we decided to do it! Sami flew in late Saturday night, so early Sunday morning we were off to Vancouver- the 3 of us and Chuckie's LGO classmate Gold.

Now, this is gonna sound a little crazy, but, this trip to Canada was my first time ever leaving the United States! So I was VERY excited! The drive was scenic and pretty easy. We got to the border, answered a few questions about why we were visiting, how we knew each other, where we were from, and then boom! We were across the border!

Literally less than 3 minutes across the Canadian border, Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the U.S.A." came on which gave us a good laugh. We decided that was our theme song for the day.

As we were driving into downtown, I snapped this picture out the window of the stadium, called BC Place, where the opening and closing ceremonies were for the 2010 winter Olympics. When we passed it at night leaving town, it was all lit up with different colors and looked really cool, but unfortunately I didn't get a good picture of it that time.


Our first stop was at Stanley Park, one of the largest parks in North America. It was a little chilly, but we had our hearts set on riding bikes around the park so we layered up and braved the cold. (It wasn't THAT cold, I'm just making it sound more intense.)


Before you see this next picture you have to know what I was TRYING to take a picture of, because it makes it even funnier. I thought Chuckie was riding right behind me, so I was trying to get a picture of him on his bike. I was taking the picture without looking because we were riding and I didn't want to lose focus and fall off of my bike. So I made a face just in case a small part of my face ended up in the picture and I snapped. Later when I looked at my pictures, I found the result.

 
 
He is SO FAR BEHIND ME and I got WAY MORE THAN JUST A LITTLE OF MY FACE in the picture. It's so ridiculous. Sami cried from laughing when she saw this picture. Last week on the blog I put a picture of us on a hike and said it was maybe the best picture ever taken of me and Chuckie. Well, I think this one definitely trumps that one.
 
Anyway, moving on...
 
Chuck proved to us that he could eat a banana and ride a bike at the same time.


 
 

Gold, Chuck and Sami at a pretty spot along the bike trail.




After biking, we drove to the public market on Granville Island. We walked around and watched a guy juggle knives while balancing on a ladder, went in and out of all the little shops, did some taste testing, and bought the most delicious donuts. Next we drove to Gastown, an older part of Vancouver with cobblestone streets and brick sidewalks. It reminded us of Boston, so we liked it!

Then we saw a building that looked strangely similar to the Flat Iron building in NYC, except this one was a lot smaller.

 
We had some drinks at a cool place there and then walked to an Irish Pub for some "comfort food that feels like a hug." It was tasty.


Right before we left Canada, we had Chuck snap a few pictures of us in some traditional sorority girl poses so Sami would feel like she got the full "spring break" effect, even though she was in cold and rainy Canada and her classmates were in warm and sunny Florida, and neither of us were/are in sororities.




It was a great day trip and a great way to start off Sami's visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment