Monday, February 18, 2013

A Week of Celebrations

This past week we've been busy celebrating.

Last Tuesday (the last time I wrote), Chuck's car arrived in Seattle! We had it shipped across the country from Louisville. After being without a car for 8 months in Boston, we were beyond excited to have a car again! We took it to get washed, took it to the grocery the next day, and have taken it all over Seattle this past week. It's amazing to have the freedom a car gives you again. I don't think Chuck is ever going to want to part with his car again after this, so we may end up bringing it back with us to Boston. You just never know!


Thursday was Valentine's Day. We've never really been big Valentine's Day celebrators, so this year we celebrated in our typical fashion. I cooked dinner for us after Chuckie got home from work, he brought me some flowers and chocolate, and then we watched a UofL basketball game. Simple, low key, and very much US. :)


P.S. check out that meal I prepared. I'm getting good!

Friday night we finally met up with the other two LGO students, Gold and Orion, who are in Seattle for off-cycle internships. We went out to a restaurant recommended by the one and only Anthony Bourdain, and then walked down the street for some late night bowling at a really cool bowling alley/pool bar/regular bar place. It was great to see some familiar faces and is exciting to think several more of Chuck's classmates will be out here in June for their internships!


On Saturday, Chuck and I made a drive to IKEA to get some storage things we needed for our closet. Around lunchtime we met up with Gold and Orion again at the Pike Place Market, a popular tourist attraction in downtown Seattle. You've probably seen it on TV before, especially the popular Pike Place Fish Co.- you know, the guys who throw the fish around and yell things in unison?

We spent a couple of hours just wandering through the market, taking it all in, ate lunch at a little deli, stood in a long line for delicious and fresh donuts, took samples from the fish guys, the cheese lady, the jam and preserves people... I swear you could spend all day at the Market and just eat samples for every meal.  We didn't even get to explore the whole thing yet, including the original Starbucks, so if any of you come to visit, expect to make a trip to Pike Place Market with us.

Sunday we celebrated Chuckie's brithday! He turned 26! He's soooooo old. (I like to pretend he's way older than me for the 20 something days between our birthdays.) Earlier in the week I had investigated a good brunch place for us to try for his birthday meal. I found a place called Portage Bay Cafe in Ballard, the neighborhood to the west of Fremont, that was voted the number one brunch place in Seattle in 2012.
It definitely delivered. One place we've really missed in Louisville is Wild Eggs- our favorite breakfast/brunch spot. In Boston we never found anything that compared, but now in Seattle I think we've found something close. You guys- they have a toppings bar for french toast and pancakes! Strawberries soaked in sugar, raspberries, blueberries, nuts, whipped cream, syrup... It was so good.

Other than brunch, Chuckie's birthday was pretty uneventful because he had to fly out Sunday night to Phoenix where he'll be working in an Amazon fulfillment center for a week. If we were made of money I totally would have flown down with him for the week (it's in the high 70s and sunny there all this week) but unfortunately we're not, so, I'm here in Seattle by myself!

Lastly- right when I thought the week of celebrations was coming to a close, I got a text from my kindergarten best friend Lauren yesterday, who you may remember from THIS post, that said "WE'RE ENGAGED!" followed by this picture.

 
She was in Chicago this weekend visiting a friend and her boyfriend flew there to surprise her! You can tell from the picture she had absolutely no idea. I love it! (And in case you're wondering, I got her permission to post this picture on my blog.) There's definitely nothing like the rush of happiness you get when something amazing happens to someone you love so much! I couldn't stop smiling for so long after I found out. I'm so happy for them and the exciting times they have to look forward to! Congratulations, Lauren and Brenden!
 
 
So as far as I know, we're done with celebrating things for now, at least until I land a job I'm happy with, which will hopefully be soon.  In the mean time, I'm taking care of this and that, exploring the area some more, trying to drive the speed limit and not a bit faster (because EVERYONE DOES- it's the weirdest thing!) and trying to get over my anger about the whole "charging us for paper bags" thing at the grocery, Target, and anywhere else you buy something that needs to go in a bag.



No comments:

Post a Comment