Saturday, March 8, 2014

Letters to Boston

As the reality of leaving Boston creeps closer and closer, I've reflected on some things/people/places I like and dislike in Boston and written some short letters to them. Enjoy.

Dear Pepper Sky,
I am so sad that it took us until January 2013 to discover you. I regret those 7 months we were in Boston and failed to recognize your greatness. Your Pad Thai is one of the best things I've ever eaten and I'm afraid I will never find another like it. Whether it's in the restaurant or take-out, it's always perfection. I will hold every future Pad Thai to your standards.
With Love,
Your number one fan and customer

Dear Boston Pedestrian Crosswalks,
I love the power you have over cars, buses, bikes, and taxis. You are the most powerful crosswalks I have ever witnessed in my life. I love the power I feel when I walk across a large, main road during rush hour. Because you are there, I have the power to stop buses full of people and it feels amazing. It's the closest I will ever get to having a superpower. I wish crosswalks in other cities would take note.
Love,
An Adoring Fan


Dear Upstairs Neighbor,
You are the loudest walker I've ever heard. You wake up earlier than us and go to bed later than us. And you stomp the whole time. You also move furniture a lot, vacuum suspiciously frequently, and run some kind of machine that also makes noise. What are you doing up there? We're not sure if you are a Dexter, a Walter White, or maybe just a hairdresser or work-out enthusiast. But whatever you are, it's loud. I want to leave you a note asking you to be quiet but I'm not a grouchy 79 year old woman so I won't. Also, Chuckie won't let me.
Not with love,
Your annoyed neighbor


Dear T,
I love you and hate you so much. I love that I can easily travel around the city without sitting in traffic. I hate that people invade my personal space when it's overcrowded in the mornings. I love that Chuck and I never have to decide who will be DD because we can just take the T home. I hate that you are sometimes ridiculously delayed which makes me late to work. Once we're gone, I will simultaneously miss you and be happy to be rid of you forever.
Sincerely,
Sometimes happy/sometimes grumpy T rider


Dear Hi-Fi Pizza,
The only reason I am slightly ok with visiting you is because I found out Matt Damon and Ben Affleck used to get their late night pizza there when they lived in Cambridge back in the day. I think you are kinda gross but Chuckie loves you. You've brought him so much joy. When he's ready for the 4th meal at 2 in the morning, you've provided it. You may have the greasiest pizza I've ever seen but I guess that's all there is to eat at 2 am.  One thing I know for sure is your to-go bags (aka the pizza on a paper plate shoved into a brown paper lunch sack) are second to none.
Fondly,
Rachel on behalf of Chuck


Dear Really Old Yellow Lab in our Apartment building,
You are so old and so cute and you make my day every time I see you in our hallways. I didn't know dogs were allowed in our building and I see a lot of your hair collecting on the stairs, but it doesn't bother me because you are adorable. I wish you lived with me.
Love,
Dog Whisperer


Dear Snow,
NOBODY LIKES YOU.
Sincerely,
Rachel and 98% of all people ever



No comments:

Post a Comment